TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - You make it sound like I just said "do it this way" without
People Seeking Info

Subject You make it sound like I just said "do it this way" without

Posted by Ash's Z on June 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM
  This message has been viewed 304 times.

In Reply To I guess my subtle point is that I would expect vendors posted by The Devils Z on June 10, 2011 at 05:38 PM

Message any previous experimentation or analysis to support the recommendation.

Oil testing is one way to approach it - more of a quantitative means to measure specific variations in the oil composition.

Another way to do it is to change the system and test it in a real-world scenario.... and this is the short description of what all is actually involved.

Everyone with a TT has noticed the oil film on the insides of the pipes, intercoolers, plenum, and gunk that builds up on the throttlebodies. This is all due to the PCV system. This system came on the vehicle and most people would conclude that it must be there for a reason, which is correct in and of itself, but that position fails to recognize why it was put there in the first place.

Many years ago I entertained the idea of using the AIV system to work as a pump to help evacuate crankcase gases. The reconfiguration of the AIV system to attach it to the ports at the front of the intake valve covers actually worked very well to suck crankcase gases out... in fact, it worked too good. The result was that under deceleration, the oil splash in the valve cover was sucked through the baffle section, into the pipes to the AIVs, and then dumped into the exhaust tract. That first drive to test it created an unbelievably large cloud of oil smoke coming out the tailpipes....

Funny thing, I look at that now and see that I was completely missing the boat back then. Why the hell I was trying to make the PCV system move more volume was the attempt to make the PCV system work better... and sure enough, it did move a lot more volume, which created its own problems as well.

This was a long time ago - sure the experiment went up in a cloud of smoke, literally. It did do what I thought it would, at least speaking only to the volume displacement it could create, but I tried it and learned a few things along the way.

It wasn't until a couple of years later did I have a much better understanding of the PCV system and what it was put there for in the first place. And at that moment a new idea arrived, and I implemented it and have been testing it since.

I Can't say with quantitative measure what the effect is of reconfiguring the crankcase ventilation has on the oil. Sure I was aware of the possibility that by doing that mod that I could compromise the oil's ability to perform its function over the duration of its service. But it also occurred to me that whatever that difference will be is likely going to be inconsequential... So I took the chance to test the idea by risking my own engines to see.

You see, I Dont have to collect a database of oil analyses for with or without PCV systems in order to tell you that eliminating the PCV system will be just fine to do. I can tell you that deleting the PCV system will not only be OK, but it will also offer several benefits simply because I've tested the idea over a great enough period of time and iteration to feel confident in putting myself out there on the chopping block.

It will be interesting to see the results of additional oil analyses coming from other people. Either that data is going to support what I've been saying or it wont. We will just have to see..

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.